500g plain flour, sifted
Skill level: Level 2
Preparation time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the salt.
- In a measuring jug mix the water, honey, yeast and oil together. Wait until the liquid goes frothy (about 10 minutes).
- Mix the liquid into the dry ingredients and pull together to form a ball.
- Turn the dough onto a clean surface and knead it for 5–8 minutes until smooth.
- Lightly oil a clean bowl, roll the dough in the bowl to coat all the surfaces with oil, cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place to double in size (about 15 minutes).
- Roll the dough out into a circle, which will fit the baking sheet on the baking tray. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Spread the tomato sauce onto the dough circle, leaving an edge all around the pizza. You can add a ready-made tomato-based pasta sauce, chopped tomatoes or some red pesto sauce.
- You can also add some ready-cooked meat or other toppings of your choice.
- Don’t forget your vegetable toppings – pizza is an excellent way to reach your ’5-a-day’ fruit and vegetable target.
- Add your grated cheese to the top of your pizza last.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C/gas mark 6 for 20 minutes until the pizza crust is crisp and golden.