- 6/8 chocolate brioche rolls
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 heaped tablespoons caster sugar
- 300ml double cream
- 400ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split with seeds
- Handful pecan nuts, sultanas and dried apricots
- Whisk together the eggs, yolks and sugar.
- Gently heat the milk, cream and vanilla pod and seeds until simmering, take off the heat and whisk into the eggs and sugar.
- Cut the brioche rolls in half and spread with a very thin layer of butter.
- Arrange half of the rolls in a medium size ovenproof dish. Scatter them with pecans, sultana’s and halved apricots.
- Arrange the remaining brioche rolls in a second layer and sprinkle again with the pecans, sultanas and apricots.
- Place the dish in a larger roasting tin filled with water to create a bain-marie. This then needs baking in the oven until the custard has set for 25-30 minutes at 180 C.
Serve with single cream or vanilla ice cream.